For this one, I just pressed record and talked about of my experience running 250km self-sufficient through the Sahara Desert the week before last. I go briefly into everything I did with my training, food and mindset before the event and then all the ridiculous and life-changing moments during and after my time in the Sahara. This episode goes through the highs and the lows. I’ve talked everything from avoiding snakes and scorpions on the long day (86 km), seeing people hooked up to IV’s and puking blood to cutting away the steel poles holding our tent to try and survive a sandstorm (side note: I’ll never take having a roof and four walls for granted ever again!). I hope you enjoy this one. This episode is dedicated to my MDS tent mates Simon, Johnny, Paddy, Hugh, Fergal and Pete who all played a huge role in helping me get to the finish line.
Dave and Steve are identical twins, better known as The Happy Pear. On top of running an incredibly successful health food vegan business; they are also best-selling authors who live and embrace an incredible lifestyle of health, wellness and happiness in general.
This podcast is amazing! We talk everything from their semi-pro background in rugby and travelling the world as hippies (their words, not mine) and how opening up a small vegetable shop started it all. We also delve into everything from vegan lifestyle, mediation, and wellness to morning rituals (swim rising) and handstand workouts! I hope you all enjoy this episode as much as I enjoyed recording it.
HAPPY PEAR LINKS
On today's Q&A Brian answers:
Can you get visible abs with just diet alone? 00:44
Do you think cutting can make you look bigger? 07:35
How do I encourage my partner and/or loved one to develop their own healthy mindset by consuming content such as yours or other well-regarded sources? I know for a fact it would help them out as it has helped me but their cynicism of stoicism and "self-help" books gets in the way. I'd appreciate it if you kept this question anonymous. 11:27
I feel so lost in life, Have you any tips to help someone find their way or their purpose? 21:58
Any tips for pulling birds way out of my league? 35:41
Becca is a personal trainer and online nutrition coach. After spending time in London as a nurse, she moved into the fitness industry and now helps serve clients from all walks of life with her unique training and nutritional approach. Becca gave so much value here; from her training and nutrition mistakes to going from cardio bunny to glute expert. I hope you enjoy this one.
Rapid fire Questions
1) How can I build the mindset to make healthier food choices? I think I know what foods are good and bad but I just can’t seem to stick to eating healthier, any tips would be great? 01:15
2) What are your thoughts on ‘twice a day’ training? 12:26
3) What are your thoughts on visualization and meditation? 23:53
4) Hi Brian, can you do a podcast about how to cope with a partner who isn't supportive of your fitness journey? When I married my partner, we were so unfit (drinking and smoking and eating crap) but now I'm on my fitness journey my other half feels left behind. He is jealous, suspicious and (whether subconscious or unconscious) tries to sabotage my attempts at improving my lifestyle and body. How do I cope? 38:37
How can I avoid eating junk food? I feel like I’m always craving it. 02:21
Do you ever hit a wall midday from getting up so early in the morning? I get up at 5 am (like you every morning) but always feel drained by 11 am and need a nap. It takes me so long to get going after the nap though and it takes a big chunk of my day? Any help would be great? 14:29
I’ve heard you mention crossfit a few times, what’s your opinion on it? I’ve been doing it a while now and I love it but not as happy with my body composition than when I was doing normal weight training? What are your thoughts? 28:37
Is there anything you can do to help me deal with a break-up? I broke up with my ex-girlfriend and think I made a big mistake. She doesn’t want to get back together. What should I do 37:14
1) I started paying attention to my food & health relatively recently. But my girlfriend still doesn’t. How would you recommend to handle this kind of situation, she doesn’t really want to change but I think it would be better for her? 01:38
2) What’s the best way to grow my legs? 11:39
3) Will running fasted with BCAA’s in the morning help me burn more fat? 19:46
4) I’m 29, all my friends are on about settling down and getting houses, I want to travel though, what should I do? 27:28
5) Do you think it’s better to follow logical reasoning or go with your heart when making big decisions? 35:45